Although the clover is considered a symbol of good luck if you find one that has four leaves, the truth is that it is often a real headache for people who have a garden with a lawn at home and want to have it in perfect condition. And is that clover is one of the most typical invasive species of the lawn. And that’s not all because, in addition, it reproduces very easily and, in a few days, there can be large areas of clovers on the lawn. As always, the best weapon is prevention. But what to do when it has already appeared? How to remove clover from the lawn? Can its rapid reproduction be prevented? We tell you the main keys so that you know how to eliminate clover from the lawn and you can have the garden of your dreams.
As we have discussed previously, clover is one of the main invasive species on lawns. Although it invades you, the truth is that its presence has advantages and disadvantages:
- Pros: Clover benefits the surrounding grass by providing nitrogen to the soil and attracting pollinators such as bees. In addition, its presence prevents weeds from being installed on the lawn.
- Against: despite the benefits that clover has, the truth is that it also has fewer positive points. And it is that, by spreading quickly, it is possible that it suffocates the lawn and that it ends up disappearing. Another aspect to take into account is that, normally, their green color does not match that of the lawn or its height or texture, so they can make the lawn look uneven and, therefore, less cared for.
To avoid these problems, it is best to prevent them. And, for this, there is nothing like taking good care of the lawn throughout the year because any lack in irrigation, a clear area without grass or with less grass or its weakening, is used by the clover to make its appearance and spread.
But above all, you have to pay attention to the condition of the soil. And is that a lack of fertilizer, specifical nitrogen, favors the appearance of clovers, which are excellent fixers of environmental nitrogen. Not surprisingly, it is a legume.
Remove clover from your lawn with chemicals
One of the ways to eliminate clover from your lawn is to use chemicals such as those used to prevent weeds from growing, which must be combined with preventing their appearance. Now, not all types of herbicides are valid because clover has a number of peculiarities, so these aspects must be taken into account when choosing it:
- There are different classes or types of clover, not all of which are easy to eliminate.
- The herbicides for grass not usually end with clover. They are more intended for dicotyledons or species that have rounded leaves. However, this type of product can help eradicate some varieties of clover or, at least, weaken it so that it does not spread as quickly.
- The broadleaf herbicides may be more effective to end Clover areas in the garden. In addition, it has the advantage that it is not so harmful to the lawn. It also makes it easy for affected areas to be quickly planted with new grass seeds so there are no grassless holes.
When to apply the herbicide to eliminate clover
Once the guidelines for choosing the herbicide are clear, the next thing you should know is how and when to apply it:
- The best time to apply the herbicide is to do it during the time when the plants grow the most, such as spring and fall.
- It is not good for the herbicide to be applied on days when it is windy or raining because it reduces its effectiveness.
- The herbicide also does not have to be used on days of increased solar radiation or heat because it could damage the lawn.
- Precisely, because of the damage, it can cause to both the lawn and other plants or flowers in the garden, it is important to apply it only on the grass and with care so that it does not spread to other species.
Its application is simple and only consists of spraying the lawn with it. Depending on the herbicide, there may be some variations, so it is important to read its instructions for use, especially in relation to the amount to be mixed with water if necessary.
In addition, safety rules must be followed in their application, since it is advisable that you always protect yourself with gloves, a mask, and glasses -at least-, so that it does not splash you and cause damage. Once you have finished, it is advisable to wash all the utensils that you have used to apply it well.
In addition to using herbicides or chemicals that can be purchased in florists and specialized garden stores or nurseries, there are also some natural remedies that can eliminate clover from the lawn:
- Natural herbicide: at home, you can prepare a natural herbicide. In reality, it is nothing more than spraying white vinegar on the areas of the lawn where there is clover or it is sensed that it begins to appear. Its application has to be done with caution because vinegar kills the herbs so it could cause conditions in other plants that are accidentally splashed. It may also damage the lawn itself, but can be quickly re-seeded.
- Mowing the lawn: After cutting the lawn or pruning plants in the garden, it is recommended to leave the remains on the ground. These residues attract earthworms, which are responsible for naturally enriching the soil, thus preventing clover from making its appearance due to the lack of nitrates.
With these tips on how to eliminate clover from your lawn, we hope we have helped you in a HOW TO have your garden perfect. Before any problem or doubt, we always remind you to consult professional gardeners so that they can tell you the best way to find the solution.
Women’s Health. vgrmalaysia.net What is emergency contraception.